We are SCC – Specialist Computer Centres – Europe’s leading provider of IT services and solutions. Demand for our Data Centre services continues to grow both from existing and new customers creating a real career opportunity for a talented individual to join us at our Birmingham Data Centre as a Technical Architect.
Overall Job Purpose
To lead and own the detailed design and architecture of technology platforms and customer projects within SCC. To further lead on the production, dissemination and continual improvement of standards and guidelines for established data centre technology platforms and offerings.
To lead on and support projects to deploy technology enhancements and upgrades for new technology platforms and new large scale customer deployments.
- Support and lead engagement with customers to ensure design of technical solutions are in line with the requirements of the customer and/or internal teams
- Support and lead the process to lead the customer and/or internal teams to create an IT strategy and technology roadmap
- Support and lead in the requirements gathering process and pre-sales phase including due diligence, SoW and solution proposals
- Work with customers (including running technical workshops and seminars) with a view to rationalising the IT estate with offerings from the data centre.
Design & Architecture
- Lead to the design of platform service and customer infrastructures from conception to completion.
- Ensure designs are end to end, fit for purpose and can be abstracted for multiple views and audiences
- Lead on the creation of technical architectures stretching across the entire breadth of the IT estate for Data Centre platform services and customers alike.
- Lead on the creation and maintenance of product roadmaps and versions
- Manage and maintain security and regular updates for all data centre platform services
- Design cloud solutions with a focus on delivery of multiple technology flavours, multiple customers and multi-datacentre/site architectures
- Ensure services and platforms developed are profitable, scalable and well suited to the business model and be ready to present where necessary, appropriate cost analysis (cost-benefit, ROI, TCO) for customer projects and technology platforms alike.
- Support and guide the implementation of customer projects into the datacentre and at customer sites
- For large scale projects lead implementation from conception to operation
- Ensure all projects adhere to established standards and frameworks
- Ensure all internal processes are adhered throughout the implementation projects
- Act as a technical reference point for Customers, CSM’s and junior staff members including liaising with the business in the requirements, communication and support of a technical solution
Planning & Transition
- Assist the creation of business and project documents (PID, Gantt, Business Case, RAID, Service Schedule), presentations and workshops to support delivery of solutions to new and existing customers and/or new platform services
- Support handover and acceptance into service for all new implementations and enhancements/upgrades
- Support creation, approval and quality standards of all technical project documentation and CMDB configuration items
- Support workshops and training sessions with support staff to facilitate handover to BAU operations
- Ensure all technical designs are broken down into manageable chunks or artefacts for effective planning and deployment
- Ensure all designs are created with growth and scalability in mind, anticipating future business needs, changes to the technology landscape in the industry and potential problems that may occur.
- Support on activities and tasks relating to the creation and publishing of Due Diligence reports for customer and data centre technology estates
Standards & Guidelines
- Lead the management of technology platforms across the datacentre technology portfolio
- Lead the continuous improvement programmes of all technology platforms across the datacentre
- Ensure all standards and guidelines adhere to company policies relating to ISO accreditation
- Lead on projects requiring the organisation to achieve accreditations as required by management and/or customer needs
- Lead the production of reference architectures for services offered as part of the data centre offering
- Assess new implementations to ensure they are fit for purpose and appropriate as part of a structured QA programme
- Support the IT governance processes and programmes instituted for customers and data centre platform services
- Act as a technical escalation point for major incidents related to the service delivery from the datacentre and customer sites
- Act as a mentor and coach to technical specialists as directed by line management and in accordance with planned projects and enhancements to platform services
- Support SCC management in the technical development of human resources as required.
- Support the capacity planning and management programme for data centre services and/or customer solutions
- Support the creation of technical documentation for all platform services for the data centre and for customer sites as directed
- Ensure technical documentation is completed to a professional standards
- Support the creation of document standards focussing on content, branding and quality
- Support the configuration of all technical documentation to include version control and uniform site structure
Support the process to ensure all project updates, changes and implementation are communicated to the team and customer where necessary
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated with a track record of working with a datacentre technology stack and an appreciation of support and service transition. Experience of working in a fast paced, dynamic environment with a can-do attitude and able to handle work with multiple customers and projects. Candidate must have experience of working in a large solution provider with a rapidly expanding customer base.
- Strong background with core network, compute and storage technologies in large-scale deployments
- Minimum 10 years’ experience providing support to enterprise level clients
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in professional services, sales or customer support.
- Detailed technical knowledge of MS Directory Services, Exchange, VMWare, Citrix/VDI, Networking, database and storage technologies backed with practical experience in a corporate environment preferably serving customers
- Appropriate certifications in core technology platforms (MS, VMWare, Storage (Netapp, EMC), Citrix, Networking)
- Ability to troubleshoot complex, technical, multi-site and multi-disciplinary problems and incidents
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Willingness to travel (25%)
- Exposure and experience of technical architecture frameworks including but not limited to TOGAF, ISEB and Zachman
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, MIS or equivalent
- Experience of enterprise grade Citrix and VDI environments including design, troubleshooting and support
- Experience and qualifications in Networking and security hardware to include Cisco, Juniper, Checkpoint and HP
- Experience of working in a multi-client solutions provider
- Experience in administration of database technologies in busy transaction heavy environments
- Experience of customer life cycle management particularly pre-sales, strategy, requirements analysis, technology planning, project management, proposal writing and customer presentations.
- Experience of performing the role of a consultant, drafting and implementing solutions to business problems and communicating solutions to senior leadership teams across a variety of industries and for large enterprise grade organisations
- Qualifications in enterprise, solution or technical architecture to include TOGAF, ISEB and Zachman
- Experience of Cloud technologies including automation and orchestration toolsets (System Centre Virtual Machine Manager, BMC CLM, VCAC, Azure, vCHS, EC2)
- Knowledge of IaaS and PaaS systems architecture
- Exposure to large scale multi-server databases across a variety of vendors including MS SQL, MySQL, Oracle and IBM DB2
- Experience of delivering IT Strategies to large enterprise grade organisations
- Experience of implementing IT Service Strategies for large scale multi-service, multi-site and multi-vendor customers
- Exposure to project management and service management industry best practises (Prince2, ITIL v3, PMP, MSP)
Then click the response button now !
At SCC, we take the privacy and security of your information very seriously, any information we hold will be in accordance with current data protection legislation.