The Senior Project Manager will report to the Project Services Manager for a SCC Division and will be responsible and accountable for successful completion of projects for SCC’s end customers. Projects are delivered on a consultancy basis, with a mix of time and materials and fixed price contracts toward high profile public sector and private sector clients.
The Senior Project Manager will be a highly motivated and business aware individual, able to work effectively with their project teams, their management, with other stakeholders in SCC and with the end customer. This must include effective communication, desire to develop relationships and hence increase sales. The Senior Project Manager is expected to understand project finances and will be responsible for their projects’ profitability.
The key objectives and responsibilities of this role are as follows:
- Defining, shaping, leading and delivering large or complex Projects, or a portfolio of Projects within a client portfolio
- Management of projects such the cost, time, scope and quality are controlled, baselined and assurance is made that delivery follows the plan
- Stakeholder management including Project Board creation, liaison with other key SCC service providers and 3rd party organisations
- Risk Management and Issues Management including escalation
- Creation and maintenance of Management Products including PIDs, Plans, RAID & Communication models
- Undertake Project Definition Workshops, risk workshops and product workshops
- Accounting for project cost, time, scope, quality and budget
- Manage changes to cost, time, scope and quality in a controlled way, including working with SCC account management where such changes impact project budget.
- Ensuring business continuity by maintaining effective project documentation and daily logging
- Provide accurate and targeted reporting on project status
- Management of multi-disciplined project team with matrix reports.
- Booking and management of resources required for project delivery
- Maintain separation of Change and BAU and promote these concepts with stakeholders.
- Adhering to SCC Portfolio, Programme and Project Governance
- Support the pre-sales team where required.
- Support the PMO and the Project Management team across key engagements as part of the QA / support structure for individuals, ensuring that the following are contributed towards:
- Project Services Peer Reviews (for documents and project products)
- Project Services Processes (guidance and on-going review)
- Project Financials
- Acting as a mentor and role model to the rest of the project management community, including sharing knowledge and experience through formal and informal knowledge management initiatives
- Contribute towards and help to drive the on-going development of project management standards and approach with use of toolsets as required across all Project engagements
- Deliver on accountabilities and KPIs agreed separately with the Project Services Manager and Head of Projects
- Ensure correct start up and management of projects, implementing the SCC model and agreed procedures
- Effective use of Management Products including PIDs, Plans, RAID & Communication models to shape delivery such the cost, time, scope and quality are planned to a baseline, and delivery follows the plan.
- Maintain business continuity by maintaining effective project documentation and daily logging
- Effective risk management (to anticipate issues) via identify, assess, plan, implement and monitor.
- Effective Issue management and escalation where necessary. Escalating promptly any issues that may in future have an impact on SCC or the future relationship with the customer.
- Effective booking and management of resources required for project delivery
- Changes which impact project budget are communicated with account management at the earliest opportunity
- Maintain customer and SCC internal weekly reporting methods such that project status and progress is accurate and understood at all levels.
- Continued Business Justification via End stage gate reviews, acceptance procedures and project board and customer approvals.
- Effective management of Stakeholders including other key SCC service providers and 3rd party organisations.
- A background of formal training in Project Management to practitioner level, preferably PRINCE2 Practitioner qualification
- An appropriate IT or Business Degree or equivalent
- Willingness to undertake SC Clearance
Knowledge and Experience
- Educated to a high standard
- 10 years plus relevant experience in IT or related industry, focused on resource management
- Commercially aware with supplier/partner relationship development skills
- Team management and mentoring skills to ensure that the candidate always leads by example
- Creative problem solver
- Experience of running a number of large or complex projects successfully
- Intimate knowledge of change management, risk management, setting up and initiating projects
- Organised and structured approach to project documentation and project data.
- Effective communicator at all levels
- Experience of working in a consultancy business model or similar where time is billed to clients.
- A good understanding of technology solutions
- Experience of ITIL, Acceptance into Service processes.
- MSP foundation certification
- Experience working with Microsoft Project
Technical / Business Skills / Ability
- Ability to cope successfully under pressure and with shifting priorities
- Strong relationship building skills
- Professional and positive
- Highly organised, self-motivated and able to work on own initiative and without supervision
- Diligent, with excellent attention to detail
- Tenacious and assertive, professional and positive
- Working within structured business processes and regulated procedures
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken English
- Strong Microsoft Office skills; able to manipulate data in Excel spreadsheets
- Holds current driving licence and able and willing to travel