Overall Job Purpose:
SCC Professional Services provide technology consulting, architecture design and implementation services to our public and commercial sector customers.
The role of the Lead Technical Architect is one of the most senior technical positions within SCC Services and requires “thought and people leadership” and strategic direction in the individuals’ specialist technology field, as well as a broad understanding across multiple technologies. As an established expert the position provides both an internal (Technical Architects/Consultants) and external (Vendors) focal point in delivering enterprise scale infrastructure services to SCC customers.
The objective of the Lead Technical Architect is twofold:
Engagement Level: To create a technology design that will deliver customer objectives and value add. As a subject matter expert, the Lead Technical Architect is accountable for the quality of the SCC technical delivery and achievement of the technical scope. Often working across multiple engagements providing Technical Governance, the Lead Technical Architect is accountable for ensuring end to end delivery quality and team leadership.
Mentoring and Capability Growth: The Lead Technical Architect will be responsible for mentoring junior members of the team, helping them to achieve their development needs. The Lead Technical Architect is also required to work with Practice Leads to identify new functionalities and technologies, determining areas for innovation, growth and improvement within their technical specialism.
The Lead Technical Architect will also identify certification paths required by vendors and work with the Practice Lead and other Lead Technical Architects to establish training plans for the wider team aligned to their technology specialism, as well as keeping their own certifications up to date.
Flexibility and agility must be a part of the personal skills as well as a proper understanding of correct process and adherence to quality principles.
Typically involved from the outset of the engagement to understand customer requirements and working with the Practice Leads and Resourcing to ensure that the correct personnel are aligned to project deliverables. The Lead Technical Architect will be responsible for conceptualising and designing to a detailed level the overall solution or developing further high-level designs produced by Solution Architects.
Main Duties of the Job:
• Act as a mentor in leading and developing other team members, providing feedback into individuals PDRs and helping them identify development plans.
• Provide Vendors and other SCC peers with a focal point for core solutions.
• Conceptualise and Design complex solutions, covering multiple sites, and including hosted Data Centre infrastructures.
• Technical ownership of project delivery and engaging closely with the Project Manager to ensure projects are delivered on time and on budget.
• Working with the Technical team to identify Risks and Issues and identify solutions for mitigation and resolution.
• Run technical workshops covering multiple technologies.
• Development and delivery of technology specific presentations to both large audience seminars and project workshop environment.
• Provide support to Pre-Sales in support of the Business Development team, creating both High-Level Designs and Low-Level Delivery documentation.
• Perform Pre-Sales activity as required supporting Solution Architecture and Sales.
• Work with Practice Leads and Lead Technical Architects to determine areas for capability growth inputting into plans to realise the growth strategy.
• The role requires detailed design skills specific to the individual’s technology specialisation complemented by an architecture-level appreciation of all relevant complementary technologies.
• Demonstrating an ongoing, proactive approach, working alongside Professional Services Solution Architecture in developing and delivering service offerings based on industry best practice and “new to market” technologies.
• Maintain knowledge of project delivery methodologies and technology roadmaps in the field of specialisation.
• Active member of the Practice engaging with all levels to drive the growth and improvement of services offered.
• Maintain a broad understanding of competitive products to the individual’s specialisation, an understanding of their architectural principles and, where appropriate, design skills and accreditations in these products.
• Maintain an in-depth knowledge of industry standards relevant to the role.
• To adhere to all company policies and processes as communicated by line management in order to maintain corporate ISO accreditation levels.
• To outline and obtain, maintaining technical accreditations as required by management in accordance with the guidelines provided by manufacturers and software vendors.
• Work in conjunction with the appropriate sales personnel to understand the opportunities for Professional Services within their accounts and develop team skills to meet the requirement.
• At all times to provide a courteous service and professional approach to customers and to the delivery of allocated tasks as required.
• To perform any other duties which may be allocated by your Manager.
• The Technical Architect may be asked to act as Technology Lead across a group of peers in order to effectively manage strategy and pull together and assist with the allocation of best fit resource.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
• Educated to a high standard, preferably with a relevant degree and with good technical background.
• Experienced in architecting and implementing core Microsoft technologies such as AOVPN, Intune, SCCM, Autopilot, Win10, Azure, Windows as a Service
• Understanding of the new Microsoft services coming through such as Win11 and Win365.
• Experience of delivering FastTrack presentations.
• Suitable accreditations to support Microsoft experience.
• Proactive and constructive approach to capability growth and improvement.
• Experience in architecting and implementing solutions specific to their specialism
• Suitable Accreditations in supporting core technologies.
• 10 years plus relevant experience in IT industry focused on delivering enterprise scale infrastructure solutions.
• Commercially aware with strong client facing and vendor relationship development skills.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, enabling the presentation of complex technical solutions.
• Experience in working with and defining delivery methodologies
• Experience in working with Architecture Frameworks
• An understanding of Project management fundamentals
• Ability to Lead by example and influence others
• Team player but with the ability to work unaided
• Professional appearance and manners
• Positive and constructive attitude in all work-related matters
• Strong hand-on technical capability
• Strong time management skills