- Overall Job Purpose:
The Cloud Devops Engineer will be responsible for managing Azure and Amazon Web Services based systems and assisting customers in migrating existing solutions to the cloud using automation and orchestration of workloads.
They will work within a team of Architects who are looking at how we can deliver cloud solutions across Azure, AWS and SCC’s Hybrid and Private Clouds in a faster, smarter and more efficient manner. A key part of the role will be understanding existing processes and identifying inefficiencies and translating them into the smooth delivery of Public Cloud Managed Services.
The position will be part of a team of Architect’s within SCC’s Data Centre Services Cloud Services team, responsible for owning and driving the overall architectural strategy for all Data Centre Services customers, ensuring customer satisfaction at every opportunity.
- Main Duties of Job:
- Drive deployment of customer workloads into consuming the appropriate cloud platform using automation technologies to build and deploy both infrastructure and applications (i.e. Terraform, Ansible)
- Troubleshooting across storage and compute areas to determine optimal performance
- Set up and configuration of cloud security to ensure the platform secures customer data, is efficient, scalable and easily accessible. This includes access control, perimeter defences and intrusion detection.
- Setup and configuration of native monitoring tools such as CloudWatch and CloudTrail
- Familiar with distributed source code repositories, such as git
- Setup of an array of data storage services such as Azure Storage, Block/Object/File Storage (EBS/S3/EFS)
- Provide cloud computing expertise internally and externally to drive cloud adoption
- Partner with Technical Architects and stakeholders to assess technology investment recommendations
- To adhere to all company policies and processes as communicated by line management in accordance with corporate ISO accreditation levels
- Assist in the creation of design standards, policies, and processes to improve working efficiencies by use of Reference Architecture standards, automation templates and solutions
- To perform any other duties from time to time that may be required by your line Manager
- Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, positive, organised and driven with a track record of delivering to tight timescales and having an appreciation of support and service transition. Experience of working in a fast paced, dynamic environment with a can-do attitude and ability to handle work with multiple customers and projects.
- Must have demonstrable Azure or AWS based cloud automation and orchestration skills and experience covering Azure Automation, PowerShell, Ansible, Python, SQS, SES, Git repository, Visual Studio, Chef, Puppet).
- Experience in orchestration covering most of Azure Virtual Machines, EC2, Containers (ECS/Instances), Azure Storage, Block/Object/File Storage (EBS/S3/EFS), Azure Backup, ASR, Azure networking and automation, AWS VPC, Load balancing, AWS RDS, DynamoDB, Azure SQL DB, Azure AD, IAM, MFA, CloudFormation, ARM, CloudWatch and Azure Portal
- 2+ years experience working on AWS/Azure related projects
- Knowledgeable on costing aspects including monitoring of services as well as strategies for reduction in cost (i.e. spot instances, etc.)
- Practical experience of orchestrating and automating Hybrid cloud architectures
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills
- Understands and can articulate the technical merits and value of cloud computing
- Experience of working at all stakeholder levels and be adaptable to changing and developing environments
- Excellent documentation skills across technical, process and customer facing documentation.
- Patience and the ability to remain calm under pressure and working to tight deadlines.
- Exposure to project management and service management industry best practises (PRINCE2, ITIL v3).
- Exposure and experience of technical architecture frameworks including TOGAF
- Experience of developing reference architectures, standards, and frameworks